I love summer, it officially starts for me on July 1st for Canada day, even though the kids get out of school for the summer a few days earlier. I love the impromptu gatherings with friends and taking off to the beach when it is a perfect day just to enjoy the sun and sand.
I think of summer as starting with a bang [ Canada Day firework]s and ending with a bang! [Labour Day fireworks]
This year, we start the ‘summer’ with a long weekend as Canada Day falls on Monday. I am looking forward to getting together with a few friends on the weekend and enjoying the celebrations down at the park on Canada Day [I will be at the park all day helping out, I am the media relations director for the organization that puts on the celebrations]. So the weekend will be my time to have fun before a busy day! 🙂
I am looking forward to making some great gluten free summer treats and some of my favorite warm weather recipes this summer and of course, grilling will be at the top of the list! One of the easiest, and great for a hot afternoon treat, are my protein pops that I love to make to have around – they are ridiculously easy but packed with lots of nutrition! So they are first on my list to make.
- 1-2 scoops protein powder [I used a chocolate flavoured whey protein, depends on protein amt you want]
- 1 banana broken into chunks
- 1/2 cup berries [can also be frozen-I like to add blueberries or strawberries but really any fruit will do!
- 3/4 cup of almond milk or coconut milk [much more protein than reg milk]
- 1 tbsp cocoa [optional]
- 2/3 cup vanilla yogurt [I love the Yoplait vanilla, and it is GF!]
- Add the yogurt, almond milk and the frozen berries in blender – blend until berries are broken up and blended well- add in banana and protein powderand cocoa. Blend again until well mixed, then pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight [at least 6-8 hours].
- No need for any added sugar- the fruit and the yogurt more than take care of adding the necessary sweetness!
- Enjoy! 🙂
I’m also excited to share with you that I will be a Life Made Delicious Connector [#LMDConnector] again for the next year! So I get to keep sharing great recipes and tips, while working with a great brand who helps families find new ways to celebrate and enjoy their time together. 🙂
You really have to check out some of the great gluten free recipes – but they also have so many amazing ones that can be converted/adapted very easily!
P.S. I also get to share some exclusive perks from General Mills Canada, so keep an eye out!
Happy Canada Day and happy summer!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own!!