Fall is one of my favorite times of the year, not because the weather cools- but because of all the incredible colors around…and it’s also when a lot of the different squash are ready. We didn’t grow any in the garden this year, they do take a long time! We had a very sad garden this year, very few things did well. 🙁 Hopefully next year will be better.
Back to squash – Butternut squash is my favourite, but Pumpkin is a close second. I love all the different varieties that are available this time of year, it is always fun to go to the grocery stores and see all their great displays.
Lately I have been crazy about spaghetti squash and it has become my favorite replacements for noodles, it is lower in carbs and so healthy for you and to be honest, I like the taste much more than regular noodles… and it is naturally gluten free! You can see a recipe I have used it in here.
A favorite dish that I like to make and take along to gatherings is my Parmesan Butternut Squash; it is always a huge hit. It is a perfect accompaniment for all kinds of meat, and is a great side dish during Thanksgiving. Plus it is super easy and is prepared in no time at all!
Parmesan Butternut squash
- 1 ½ lb butternut squash
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Minced fresh parsley [optional]
1. Wash and cut squash in half lengthwise – place in microwavable dish, cut side down with water to cover up to approx. half of the squash– cook for approx. 10-15 min [depends on your microwave, check every 5 min after cooking for 10 minutes] it is done when the side can be indented easily when squeezed.
2. Once cooked, drain water, turn squash over and scoop out seeds and discard. Then scoop out the rest of the squash and place in a small shallow casserole dish.
4. Add in the butter and ¼ cup of Parmesan. Stir until butter is melted and completely mixed. Sprinkle with the rest of the Parmesan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cheese totally melts, can also brown a bit under broiler.
6. Sprinkle with the parsley [optional] and serve hot.
There are so many recipes that can be made with many varieties of squash, another favorite is Butternut Squash soup, this a great recipe from Life Made Delicious and it is also gluten free!
Looking for a new recipe to try? Take a look at all the great recipes under Gluten Free Central at Life Made Delicious!
*Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own!!